May 30, 2023
Return to: Programs Offered
Program Code: MS_302C
CIP Code: 52.0301
Program of Study for the Master of Science in Accounting
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official GMAT exam scores, unless waived; undergraduate course work in Accounting Principles, Economics, Statistics, Behavioral Science, and Finance; undergraduate accounting courses in Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Accounting Systems, Individual Income Taxation, and Auditing. In extenuating circumstances, an applicant may obtain permission to remove deficiencies in course work after entering the graduate program. Admission is competitive.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting these criteria does not guarantee acceptance.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in accounting with a GPA of 3.5 or higher from a regionally accredited school and have included at least two of three letters of recommendation from accounting professors; OR
- Have five or more years of professional work or military experience; OR
- Who hold professional certification with a quantitative focus such as CPA, CFA, CMA, etc.
The GMAT waiver is only available to candidates who have not taken the GMAT within the past five years.
Accelerated Admissions Option: This program offers an accelerated admission option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Location: On Campus
Additional Information about Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility
Any standardized exam waiver for a graduate degree program at Appalachian State requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned degree (undergraduate or graduate; some programs have established higher GPA requirements). No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Course Requirements for the Master of Science in Accounting
Total Required (Minimum 30 Hours)
Required Courses (6 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (12 Hours)
Thesis Option (12 Hours)
- 12 hours of graduate electives approved by the Program Director (12)
Other Requirements for the MS in Accounting
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: Not required
- Candidacy: Required for thesis option; awarded upon approval of thesis committee and prospectus
- Comprehensive: Not required
- Product of Learning: Not required
Return to: Programs Offered