Jun 01, 2023
Return to: Programs Offered
Program Codes: MA_709D and MMT_560A
CIP Codes: 13.1102 and 51.2305
Program of Study for the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Master of Music Therapy
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree or bachelor’s equivalent in music therapy from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official GRE exam scores, proficiency in music theory, aural skills, music history/literature, music performance, piano, and professional music therapy competencies; submission of Master of Music Therapy (MMT) and HPC Department Questionnaires; live or video recorded audition; individual interview for the MMT; and on-campus group interview for Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC).
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Location: On Campus
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Master of Music Therapy
Total Required (Minimum 72 Hours)
MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Required Courses (39 Hours)
MMT Required Courses (18 Hours)
Choose One of the Following Options (4 Hours)
Shared Required Course (3 Hours)
Electives (12 Hours)
- Electives approved by the CMHC Advisor (9)
- MUS Guided Electives in music or music therapy (3)
Other Requirements for the Dual Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Master of Music Therapy
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: All students are required to demonstrate proficiency in music theory, aural skills, and music history/literature prior to recommendation for Admission to Candidacy
- Candidacy: Required for both programs; see the program directors for specific timeline and requirements for admission to candidacy
- Comprehensive: Required for both programs. For CMHC, students should take the required HPC courses (excluding the Internship) prior to taking the comprehensive exam. MMT Comprehensive is required prior to admission to candidacy
- Product of Learning: Not required
Notes for the Dual Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Master of Music Therapy
- Accreditation: The master’s degree program in CMHC is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body. Graduates are immediately eligible to take the examination of the National Board for Certified Counselors, Inc., to become National Certified Counselors. The MMT is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Students in CACREP approved programs in the HPC department must meet for a minimum of 10 clock hours in a planned group activity intended to provide direct experiences as a participant in a small group. This requirement is met during HPC 5790 .
- On an individual basis, faculty or supervisors may suggest that students receive professional counseling or other form of therapy to aid them in their personal growth.
- The Handbook of Policies and Procedures available in the HPC office provides information on liability insurance, academic appeals, retention policy, personal endorsement policy, admissions policies, and placement services.
- Permission forms to take HPC practicum and internship are available in the HPC office and must be completed prior to registration.
- MUS 5060 Bonny Method of GIM requires participation in a 5-day intensive workshop that is conducted off-campus between academic terms and requires payment of workshop fees in addition to tuition. This course may be repeated with permission of the MMT program director. Up to 9 s.h. may count towards the MMT.
- All students are required to register for and successfully complete MUS 5200 Music Therapy Laboratory for a minimum of four semesters.
- Board certification in music therapy (MT-BC) is prerequisite to MUS 5900 .
- Students who have not had a previous course in statistics must complete one course in statistics, in addition to the research course indicated above.
Return to: Programs Offered