Aug 09, 2022
Program Code: MA_222D
CIP Code: 16.0999
Program of Study for the Master of Arts in Romance Languages
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree in the target language or a closely related field from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived; writing sample in the target language; oral interview for evaluation of speaking skills (see guidelines at: http://dllc.appstate.edu); two undergraduate literature courses and two culture courses. International students must submit a writing sample in English and must pass an oral interview in English.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . In addition, the program faculty will give preference to applicants who meet or exceed the following: Cumulative Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 or higher; GPA in subject area: 3.2. Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE) requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Have completed 9 credit hours of graduate coursework at Appalachian State University of other accredited institution, with a grade of “B” or better, within the past five years; OR
- Have five or more years of post-baccalaureate experience in teaching, translating, or interpreting in the target language; OR
- Demonstrate performance at the advanced-mid level or higher in Spanish or French in a target language writing sample and a standard oral proficiency interview (OPI) conducted by the department’s graduate faculty.
Accelerated Admission Option: This program offers an accelerated admission option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Location: On and Off Campus, with some on-line and blended instruction offerings
Additional Admission Requirements
Additional Admission Requirement: Evidence of NC “A” licensure or the equivalent from another state must be provided prior to admission.
Additional Information about Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility
Any standardized exam waiver for a graduate degree program at Appalachian State requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned degree (undergraduate or graduate; some programs have established higher GPA requirements). No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in Romance Languages
Total Required (Minimum 36 Hours)
Required Courses (6 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (30 Hours)
Leads to NC Teacher Licensure: Requirements for this degree were designed, and have been approved by the appropriate bodies at the state level, to meet the advanced competencies as mandated in the North Carolina Excellent Schools Act for Master-level teacher education programs.
Choose from the Following (9 Hours)
Students must complete 3 education courses.
Electives (21 Hours)
21 hours to be selected from the Elective Courses shown below
Choose from the following courses:
Other Requirements for the MA in Romance Languages
- Thesis: Not required
- Proficiency: Proficiency in the language is required.
- Candidacy: Required; see the program director for specific timeline and requirements for admission to candidacy
- College Teaching Concentrations: Each MA candidate develops a portfolio of representative work generated in the course of the MA Program. The portfolio contains fully revised versions of the candidate’s best work produced for all classes in the content area, and serves as the basis for a one-hour oral comprehensive examination. Refer to specific guidelines for the portfolio at: http://dllc.appstate.edu.
- K-12 Teaching Concentrations: Requirement is fulfilled via successful presentation of the Product of Learning.
- Product of Learning:
- Community College Teaching: Not required.
- K-12 Teaching: Requirement is fulfilled via successful completion and presentation of the Product of Learning. Refer to specific guidelines for the Product of Learning at: http://dllc.appstate.edu.