Jan 31, 2023
Program Code: MA_267E
CIP Code: 45.1001
Program of Study for the Master of Arts in Political Science
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree with a major or minor in Political Science, Criminal Justice or a related field from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived; two-page statement of intent explaining applicant’s academic and professional goals in chosen concentration; additional courses (up to 15 hours maximum) may be required if so indicated by the student’s deficiencies.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE) is waived for applicants with:
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher or a master’s degree from an accredited institution from the last 5 years; AND
- A sample of written work (This should be a paper representative of your best work, preferably under 25 pages; if you are uncertain about what to send, contact the Program Director.)
Location: On campus
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program, but requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned bachelor’s degree or 3.3 or higher in an earned graduate degree. No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the program and by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in Political Science
Total Required (Minimum 33 Hours)
Required Courses (9-12 Hours)
Choose from the Following (3 Hours)
3 hours from the following in consultation with the MA Advisor:
Other Requirements for the MA in Political Science
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: Students must demonstrate a proficiency in reading a foreign language or quantitative analysis as a research tool. The department may determine the proficiency required.
- Candidacy: Required for thesis option; awarded upon approval of thesis committee and prospectus
- Comprehensive: During the final semester of course work, candidates must submit an ePortfolio and earn a passing grade.
- Product of Learning: Not required