Jan 31, 2023
Program Code: MPA_279F
CIP Code: 44.0401
Program of Study for the Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE or GMAT exam scores, unless waived.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . In addition, the program faculty will give preference to applicants who meet or exceed the following: Undergraduate GPA > 3.00 and/or GRE/GMAT Verbal > 25th percentile and GRE/GMAT Quantitative > 25th percentile. Meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE or GMAT) requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Hold an undergraduate GPA of 3.4 or higher; OR
- Have five years of relevant work experience in a government or nonprofit agency; OR
- Completed 9 credit hours of graduate coursework at Appalachian State University or other accredited institution, with a grade of “B” or better, within the last five years.
Location: On Campus and Off Campus; Off-Campus cohorts begin periodically, and follow a part-time extended format.
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program, but requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned bachelor’s degree or 3.3 or higher in an earned graduate degree. No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the program and by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Public Administration
Total Required (Minimum 42 Hours)
Required Courses (21 Hours)
Choose One of the Following
Concentration Requirements (15 Hours)
Fieldwork / Internship Option (6 Hours)
Internship for Pre-service Students
Field Research Option for In-service Students
Other Requirements for the MPA
- Thesis: Not required
- Proficiency: Students must demonstrate a proficiency in reading a foreign language or quantitative analysis as a research tool. The department may determine the proficiency required.
- Candidacy: Not required
- Comprehensive: Successful completion of a capstone experience (P_A 5558 plus P_A 5559 ) fulfills the requirement for a comprehensive examination.
- Product of Learning: Not required