Nov 26, 2022
Program Codes: MBA_305G and MPA_279B
CIP Codes: 52.0201 and 44.0401
Program of Study for the Master of Business Administration and the Master of Public Administration
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; and official general GMAT or GRE exam scores, unless waived.
Additional MBA Admission Requirements: Evidence of knowledge in statistics, financial accounting, economics, corporate finance, marketing, and organizational behavior through course work, work experience or completion of the accelerated prerequisite program before taking graduate course work in those subjects.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher AND have five or more years of relevant full-time, post-baccalaureate work or military experience; OR
- Have an earned Master’s or higher level degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; OR
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.6; OR
- Hold membership in Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society.
Location: On Campus, or combination of Off Campus and Online. Off-Campus/Online cohorts follow a part-time extended format.
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program, but requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned bachelor’s degree or 3.3 or higher in an earned graduate degree. No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the program and by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Business Administration and the Master of Public Administration
Total Required (Minimum 60 Hours)
MBA Required Courses (21 Hours)
MPA Required Courses (21 Hours)
Internship or Research (6 Hours)
Choose Internship or Research option in consultation with MPA director
Shared Required Courses (6 hours)
Electives (12 Hours)
12 hours of Graduate Electives approved by MBA and MPA advisors
Students are required to work with both program advisors each semester to determine appropriate program of study and course scheduling.
MBA Differential Tuition
Students enrolled in the dual degree will pay an additional tuition amount above the regular tuition assessed for graduate students on those courses that satisfy the requirements of the MBA degree. For more information about differential tuition, please refer to http://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/tuition-and-fees
Other Requirements for the Dual MBA and MPA
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: Not required for MBA. MPA students must demonstrate a proficiency in reading a foreign language or quantitative analysis as a research tool. The department may determine the proficiency required for MPA.
- Candidacy: Required for MBA. Not required for MPA.
- Comprehensive: Not required for MBA. Successful completion of a capstone experience (P_A 5558 plus P_A 5559) fulfills the requirement for a comprehensive examination for MPA.
- Product of Learning: Not required