May 29, 2023
Program Codes: MS_304D and MPA_279B
CIP Codes: 11.0802 and 44.0401
Program of Study for the Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics and Master of Public Administration
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GMAT or GRE exam scores, unless waived.
Additional MS in Applied Data Analytics Requirements: Evidence of knowledge in statistics, economics, and domain specific knowledge for the concentration through course work, work experience or completion of the accelerated prerequisite program before taking graduate course work in those subjects.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting these criteria does not guarantee acceptance.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GMAT or GRE) requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Have five or more years of full-time, professional work or military experience; OR
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher; OR
- Have completed a graduate certificate in Business Analytics at Appalachian State University with a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher; OR
- Hold verified membership in Beta Gamma Sigma.
Location: On Campus
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program, but requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned bachelor’s degree or 3.3 or higher in an earned graduate degree. No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the program and by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Dual Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics and Master of Public Administration
Total Required (Minimum 60 Hours)
MS in Applied Data Analytics Required Coures (24 Hours)
Take any two of the following three courses:
MPA Required Courses (27 Hours)
Elective Courses (9 hours)
Students are required to work with both program advisors each semester to determine appropriate program of study and course scheduling.
MS in Applied Data Analytics Differential Tuition
Students enrolled in the dual degree will pay an additional tuition amount above the regular tuition assessed for graduate students on those courses that satisfy the requirements of the MS in Applied Data Analytics degree. For more information about differential tuition, please refer to http://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/tuition-and-fees
Other Requirements for the Dual MS in Applied Data Analytics and MPA
- Thesis: Optional (Elective) for Applied Data Analytics
- Proficiency: Not Required for Applied Data Analytics. Public Administration students must demonstrate a proficiency in reading a foreign language or quantitative analysis as a research tool as determined by the program.
- Candidacy: Required for Applied Data Analytics. Not required for Public Administration.
- Comprehensive: Not required for Applied Data Analytics. Public Administration students must successfully complete a capstone experience (PA 5558 plus PA 5559) to fulfill the requirement for a comprehensive examination.
- Product of Learning: Not required.