Dec 02, 2023
Program Code: MPA_279B
CIP Code: 44.0401
Program of Study for the Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE or GMAT exam scores, unless waived.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . In addition, the program faculty will give preference to applicants who meet or exceed the following: Undergraduate GPA > 3.00 and/or GRE/GMAT Verbal > 25th percentile and GRE/GMAT Quantitative > 25th percentile. Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE or GMAT) requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Hold an undergraduate GPA of 3.4 or higher; OR
- Have five years of relevant work experience in a government or nonprofit agency; OR
- Completed 9 credit hours of graduate coursework at Appalachian State University or other accredited institution, with a grade of “B” or better, within the last five years.
Accelerated Admission Option: This program offers an accelerated admission option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Location: On Campus and Off Campus; Off-Campus cohorts begin periodically, and follow a part-time extended format.
Additional Information about Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility
Any standardized exam waiver for a graduate degree program at Appalachian State requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned degree (undergraduate or graduate; some programs have established higher GPA requirements). No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Course Requirements for the Master of Public Administration
Total Required (Minimum 42 Hours)
Required Courses (21 Hours)
Choose One of the Following
Concentration Requirements (15 Hours)
- 15 hours of graduate courses in consultation with the MPA director, including 3 hours of graduate elective coursework from outside the program
Fieldwork / Internship Option (6 Hours)
Internship for Pre-service Students
Field Research Option for In-service Students
Other Requirements for the MPA
- Thesis: Not required
- Proficiency: Students must demonstrate a proficiency in reading a foreign language or quantitative analysis as a research tool. The department may determine the proficiency required.
- Candidacy: Not required
- Comprehensive: Successful completion of a capstone experience (P A 5558 plus P A 5559 ) fulfills the requirement for a comprehensive examination.
- Product of Learning: Not required