Dec 06, 2023
Program Code: 604*/604C
CIP Code: 03.0103
General Education Requirements (44 Hours)
(SD 2400 and PHL 2015 if taken for the major may count toward General Education if fulfilling the Integrative Learning Experience: Sustainability & Global Resources)
Major Requirements (66 Hours)
2. 0 major GPA is required for graduation. Major GPA calculation will include all courses taken in fulfillment of the major requirements. Minimum of 18 semester hours of courses taken to fulfill major requirements must be courses offered by Appalachian.
Students must complete the WID and CAP requirements:
Junior Writing in the Discipline (WID) (from SD 3420 , SD 3475 , SD 3610 , SD 3750 , SD 3800 , or SD 4150 )
Senior Capstone Experience (CAP) (SD 4550 )
Required SD Core (21 Hours)
Community, Regional, & Global Development Concentration (45 Hours)
Required Community, Regional, and Global Development Core (12 Hours)
Electives (12 Hours)
- Elective courses selected in consultation with SD advisor
Specialization (15 Hours)
- Specialization courses selected in consultation with SD Advisor
The Specialization is made up of courses that form a single, coherent emphasis relevant to the student’s area of interest, such as social and environmental justice, food and agriculture, and health and social change, etc. (see examples on the SD website, www.sd.appstate.edu). Specializations may also include skills-focused courses appropriate to a student’s proposed vocation. Credit hours from study abroad, an internship, or an advanced internship may be used in the student’s Specialization, as appropriate. This also gives students the flexibility to specialize in either a geographic region (e.g. Latin America, Appalachia, etc.) or a topical area (e.g. livelihood and food security, agrarian development, urban development). Courses counted toward major requirements may not be counted in the Specialization.
Language Sequence (6 Hours)
- ARB/CHN/FRE/GER/JPN/POR/RSN/SNH or other language at level appropriate to placement. Students who demonstrate high proficiency in two or more languages may substitute additional electives for the Language Sequence, with permission from an advisor.
- 9 hours of a minor must be completed at Appalachian
Free Electives (10-16 Hours)
To total a minimum of 120 hours for the degree
Total Required (120 Hours)