Dec 03, 2023
Program Code: MS_113B
CIP Code: 40.0801
Program of Study for the Master of Science in Engineering Physics
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree in physics, astronomy or any science or related area such as mathematics, computer science or engineering from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam requirement may be waived for applicants with 3.0 or higher average in five core undergraduate physics and math courses (Introductory Physics I & II and Calculus I, II, & III).
Accelerated Admission Option: This program offers an accelerated admission option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Location: On Campus
Additional Information about Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility
Any standardized exam waiver for a graduate degree program at Appalachian State requires that applicants hold a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in their last earned degree (undergraduate or graduate; some programs have established higher GPA requirements). No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Course Requirements for the Master of Science in Engineering Physics
Total Required (33 Hours W/Thesis or 36 Hours)
Required Courses (10 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (23 Hours W/Thesis or 26 Hours)
With Thesis (12 Hours)
- PHY 5999 - Thesis (3-6) (6)
- 6 hours of graduate electives, including at least 3 hours of graduate PHY coursework chosen with approval of the program director
Without Thesis (15 Hours)
- 15 hours of graduate electives with approval of graduate program director
Other Requirements for the MS in Engineering Physics
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: Not required
- Candidacy: Required for thesis option; admission to candidacy is awarded upon approval of thesis committee and prospectus
- An oral defense of the thesis is required for the thesis option of Systems and Laboratory Automation.
- For non-thesis option and other concentrations: A written and oral comprehensive examination is required.
- Product of Learning: Not required