Dec 11, 2023
Program Code: MA_468A_1
CIP Code: 51.1505
Program of Study for the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived; a completed program questionnaire; interview.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE) may be waived for applicants who:
- Achieved a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, AND
- Have submitted letters of recommendation from at least two professors with whom they have taken at least one course, OR
- Have five or more years of professional human services or family systems-related experience
Location: On Campus
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program. No exam waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Total Required (Minimum 51 Hours)
Required Courses (45 Hours)
Theoretical Foundations of Marital and Family Therapy (3 Hours)
Assessment and Treatment in Marital and Family Therapy (18 Hours)
Choose Two of the Following (6 Hours)
Human Development and Family Studies (9 Hours)
Ethics and Professional Studies (3 Hours)
Supervised Clinical Practice (9 Hours)
Electives (6 Hours)
Six (6) hours of graduate level electives, which may include thesis hours, selected in consultation with your advisor.
Other Requirements for the MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: None required
- Candidacy: Required; see the program director for specific timeline and requirements for admission to candidacy
- Comprehensive: Required; students should take the required courses (excluding the Internship) prior to taking the comprehensive exam
- Product of Learning: None required
Note on Prerequisites: Students should pay particular attention to the prerequisites listed in each course description; the curriculum is carefully structured to ensure that students have the necessary prerequisite knowledge before enrolling in courses