Feb 22, 2024
Program Code: MM_558D
CIP Code: 50.0903
Program of Study for the Master of Music in Performance
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived; successful audition before appropriate music faculty; proficiency in music theory, music history/literature, and music performance.
Students applying to the Master of Music in Performance degree must complete an audition, submit a resume, and provide a list of all repertoire studied. Students entering the concentration in voice performance (MUS_588V) must demonstrate proficiency or prove by academic transcript: Survey of Song Literature, Opera History and Literature, Vocal Pedagogy, piano proficiency, and one year of study of French and German, undergraduate diction, and Alexander Technique. Students not demonstrating proficiency in these subjects may be required to take appropriate courses.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School. Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE) requirement may be waived for applicants with an undergraduate degree of 3.0 or higher who have undergone an extensive audition and interview process.
Location: On Campus
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program. No exam waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin.
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Music in Performance
Total Required (Minimum 32 to 35 Hours)
Credit hours vary by concentration
Required Courses (23 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (9 Hours)
Semester hours required for the degree (minimum 32):
Other Requirements for the MM in Music Performance
- Thesis: Optional for Composition Concentration.
- Proficiency: All students are required to demonstrate proficiency in music theory, aural skills, and music history/literature prior to being recommended for Admission to Candidacy. Students entering the concentration in voice performance (588V) must demonstrate proficiency or prove by academic transcript: Survey of Song Literature, Opera History and Literature, Vocal Pedagogy, piano proficiency, and one year of study of French and German, undergraduate diction, and Alexander Technique.
- Candidacy: Required; see the program director for specific timeline and requirements for admission to candidacy
- Comprehensive: Written and oral examinations will be given.
- Product of Learning: None required