Dec 02, 2023
Program Code: MS_113B
CIP Code: 40.0801
Program of Study for the Master of Science in Engineering Physics
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree in physics, astronomy or any science or related area such as mathematics, computer science or engineering from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE exam scores, unless waived.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting this condition does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam requirement may be waived for applicants with 3.0 or higher average in five core undergraduate physics and math courses (Introductory Physics I & II and Calculus I, II, & III).
Location: On Campus
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program. No exam waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Science in Engineering Physics
Total Required (33 Hours W/Thesis or 36 Hours)
Required Courses (10 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (23 Hours W/Thesis or 26 Hours)
With Thesis (12 Hours)
- PHY 5999 - Thesis (3-6) (6)
- 6 hours of graduate electives, including at least 3 hours of graduate PHY coursework chosen with approval of the program director
Without Thesis (15 Hours)
- 15 hours of graduate electives with approval of graduate program director
Other Requirements for the MS in Engineering Physics
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: Not required
- Candidacy: Required for thesis option; admission to candidacy is awarded upon approval of thesis committee and prospectus
- An oral defense of the thesis is required for the thesis option of Systems and Laboratory Automation.
- For non-thesis option and other concentrations: A written and oral comprehensive examination is required.
- Product of Learning: Not required