Dec 10, 2023
Program Code: MA_857B
CIP Code: 13.1315
Program of Study for the Master of Arts in Literacy Education With A Concentration in Adult Literacy
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School ; official general GRE or MAT exam scores, unless waived.
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the criteria for admission to the Graduate School . Meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission.
Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility: The standardized exam (GRE or MAT) requirement may be waived for applicants who:
- Have completed 6 credit hours of graduate coursework at Appalachian State University or other accredited institution, with a grade of “B” or better, within the last five years; OR
- Have three or more years of teaching experience.
Location: On Campus and Off Campus; Off-Campus applications are accepted on a rolling basis; please contact the App State Online for locations (online.appstate.edu).
Additional Standardized Exam Waiver Eligibility Information
Standardized exam (GRE, GMAT, MAT) waiver eligibility for graduate degree programs at Appalachian State varies by program. No exam waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. More complete information about standardized exam waivers can be found in the Admissions Requirements section of this Bulletin .
Accelerated Master’s Program
This program offers an Accelerated Master’s option for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University.
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in Literacy Education with a Concentration in Adult Literacy
Total Required (Minimum 36 Hours)
Required Courses (6 Hours)
Research Course (3 Hours)
Clinical Teaching Course (3 Hours)
Concentration Requirements (15 Hours)
Thesis Option (15 Hours)
With Thesis (15 Hours)
- LIT 5999 - Thesis (1-4) (3 Hours)
- 12 hours of graduate electives chosen with the graduate advisor’s approval, see the Litereacy Education, Adult Literacy concentration check sheet for a list of suggested electives.
Without Thesis (15 Hours)
- LIT 5525 - Product of Learning (1-3) [CL] (3 Hours)
- 12 hours of graduate electives chosen with the graduate advisor’s approval, see the Literacy Education, Adult Literacy concentration check sheet for a list of suggested electives.
Other Requirements for the MA in Literacy Education (Adult Literacy Concentration)
- Thesis: Optional
- Proficiency: None required
- Candidacy: Not Required
- Comprehensive: Required
- Product of Learning: LIT 5525 is required unless thesis option is selected.